Guided Church Tours in English

Tours in other languages can be found with the search form to the right

2017

2017

Asamkirche

Asamkirche

Bürgersaalkirche (Community Hall Church)

Bürgersaalkirche (Community Hall Church)

Since the consecration of the High Altar on 13th May 1778, the Community Hall has also been unofficially called the Community Hall Church. The church is architecturally unique in that it is divided into an Upper and Lower Church. In the Lower Church is the tomb of Father Rupert Mayer, who has been beatified.
Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Trinity Church)

Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Trinity Church)

This church was designed by Giovanni Antonio Viscardi and built in Bavarian Baroque style between 1711 and 1718. During the Second World War, this was the only church in Munich’s city centre which was not damaged by bombing.
Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Lady)

Frauenkirche (Cathedral of Our Lady)

The Cathedral of Our Lady, the “Frauenkirche”, is the cathedral church of the Archbishop of Munich and Freising and Munich’s primary landmark. Its twin towers topped with their characteristic onion domes, so-called “Welsh Domes”, are visible from a great distance. A visit to the Cathedral is an essential part of every city tour.
Heiliggeistkirche (Church of the Holy Spirit)

Heiliggeistkirche (Church of the Holy Spirit)

The Church of the Holy Spirit is one of Munich’s oldest church buildings and located in the direct vicinity of the “Viktualienmarkt” food market. It was converted to Baroque and then to Rococo style. Its interior is decorated with high-quality frescoes and stucco work by the Asam brothers.
Herz Jesu Kirche (Heart of Jesus Church)

Herz Jesu Kirche (Heart of Jesus Church)

This modern church in Munich-Neuhausen was built between 1997 and 2000 after its predecessor had been destroyed by fire. It is of great interest for admirers of modern architecture, not least because of its cube shape with a 14-metre high blue glass front and transparent sides.
Papst Benedikt XVI

Papst Benedikt XVI

St. Georg Bogenhausen

St. Georg Bogenhausen

The subsidiary church of St. Georg was formerly a village church and is located on the high banks of the River Isar in the north of the historic village centre of Bogenhausen. Inside are significant works of art by Johann Baptist Straub (high altar) und Ignaz Günther (pulpit and Corbinian altar). Today it is primarily known for its graveyard, where many famous people are buried.
St. Maria Ramersdorf

St. Maria Ramersdorf

St. Michael

St. Michael

Built in the 16th century, this church is dedicated to the Archangel Michael and its architectural style dates back to the time of transition between Renaissance and Baroque. Numerous architectural ideas were inspired by “Il Gesù”, the Roman mother church of the Jesuit order. As a result, the Munich Church of St. Michael became the model for many Baroque churches in the German-speaking regions.
St. Michael Berg am Laim

St. Michael Berg am Laim

The Roman Catholic parish church of Saint Michael in Berg am Laim is one of the most magnificent and most significant ecclesiastical buildings within today’s city boundaries. The Late Baroque church was designed by the Bavarian master builder Johann Michael Fischer and built between 1735 and 1751 by order of the Elector and Archbishop of Cologne, Clemens August I of Bavaria.
St. Peter

St. Peter

The parish church located by Petersbergl in the historic city centre is one of Munich’s major landmarks and is the oldest house of God mentioned as “ze den Munichen” shortly after Munich was founded. It houses outstanding altars and religious works by renowned Munich artists in its magnificent interior. There is a fantastic view of the city from the tower, popularly known as “Old Peter”.
St.Anna Kirche im Lehel (St. Anna Church in Lehel)

St.Anna Kirche im Lehel (St. Anna Church in Lehel)

This monastery church built in the 18th century was the first Rococo church in Old Bavaria and played a decisive role in the development of ecclesiastical architecture in Bavaria.
Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan (Theatine Church of St. Kajetan)

Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan (Theatine Church of St. Kajetan)

This collegiate church was the court church and simultaneously the church of the Theatine order and burial place of the Wittelsbach dynasty. It was the first church north of the Alps to be built in the style of Late Italian Baroque.
“Paths of Faith” through Munich

“Paths of Faith” through Munich

A pilgrim’s route through Munich’s city centre. These circular walks include not only Roman Catholicism and Protestantism but also the Jewish community and the role of the Orthodox Church in Munich.




The result is not in alphabetical order but is mixed so the same guide is not always at the top of the list.